OHSAS 18001 Occupatonal Health and Safety Management System
(Occupational Health and Safety Management System)
What is OHSAS 1800? Why is important?
OHSAS 18001 is a system developed to minimize the risk of accidents at work and to reveal minimum conditions related to fulfillment of legal obligation which refers to occupational health and safety. OHSAS 18001 is an international standard that defines the terms related to health and safety management system in order to control their own risk and to ensure performance improvement of the organization.
OHSAS 18001 certification pursues a goal of determination of all the risks which arise from the organization's ordinary activities and extraordinary situations, as well as their control. OHSAS 18001 standard is focused on continuous improvement of organizations in order to prove that it complies to Occupational Health and Safety policy.
Benefits of OHSAS 18001
- ensurance related to occupational health and safety requirements which is relevant to national and international laws
- providing competitive advantage by increasing prestige
- improvement of the quality of workplace, employee morale and commitment to enterprise value
- keeping all the organization's health and safety risks under control by determing and describing their potential sources or cases
- ensuring trust and loyality of customers
- reducing the time and costs of procedure which complies with national and international standards
- ensuring the protection of labor and other resources
- reducing costs and damages that may arise from accidents and incidents
- establishment of a system which can be implement with a target management programs which are in accordance with the law
- preparation of action plan in emergency and in the case of accidents (earthquake, fire, flood, etc.)
- preventing undesirable events to large degree such as death, disease, injury, damage and other losses
- reducing accidents to a minimum level to reduce waste of time in production and increasing efficency to ensure productivity
- improvement of safety culture
- ensuring a dynamic and qualitative mechanism for hazard and risk management